Recipe: Mulled Wine
A classic Christmas cocktail that is also super simple to drink. Popularized in Victorian Europe and referenced heavily in the classic story by Charles Dickens “A Christmas Carol” as the drink “The Smoking Bishop”. Mulled wine has a history with the holiday almost as deep as wrapping paper and Rudolph! Follow our simple recipe below and enjoy!
- 2 bottles of red wine (I like to use one sweeter red and one dry red)
- 4 cups of apple cider
- 1/2 cup of brandy
- 1/4 cup of honey
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 2 oranges sliced
- 8 whole cloves
- 12 black peppercorns
- Cinnamon sticks, oranges and star anise for garish
- Combine the cider, wine, brandy, honey, cinnamon sticks, orange slices, cloves and peppercorns in a large pot.
- simmer over low heat for 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
- Remove cloves and peppercorns with a strainer or cheesecloth. Serves in heatproof mugs. Garnish with a cinnamon stick, orange and some star anise.
Find a liquor store near me to shop the ingredients