Overton, TX was known to the Choctaws, Chickasaws, and Creeks who dwelled in the region as Tiyuk Hekia (Standing Pine) for many years. Overton was named later, after its founder, Thomas Overton.
The name is coming from Major Frank Overton, an early inhabitant and landowner who provided part of his property for the town site. It was established in 1873, and a post office opened that year.
Overton was formed as a junction between two railroads. The 16-mile Henderson and Overton Branch Railroad was completed in 1875, and it was later linked to the International-Great Northern.
The Masons and Odd Fellows erected the first school, which was followed by a church in 1875. By the turn of the century, it had risen to 500 people and possessed all essential services, such as a newspaper. Overton grew as an agricultural town, and the population surpassed 568 in 1904.
In 1930, the Oklahoma wildcatter C. M. (Dad) Joiner was drilling his third well, with the town of Overton assisting him in raising the financing. Overton was there to share in Joiner’s triumph when the well came in, with churches, schools, and a refinery all erected. During this period, Hubbard College was founded as well. The town’s formerly agrarian economy suddenly focused entirely on oil production.
Overton’s population grew from 426 in 1931 to 3,000 just two years later. By the end of World War II, however, the population had dropped by half to just 2,000 in the 1950s.
The City of Overton has a long history with Radical Organizations using the area as their base of operations. From the early 2000s until the building was mysteriously destroyed, the Republic of Texas operated within city limits. Overton’s voting base is made up primarily of older, Republican-leaning individuals who have a long history of voting.