Trinity is home to a variety of businesses and industries. The city’s major employers include the Trinity Independent School District, Trinity Memorial Hospital, and Sam Houston State University.
The City of Trinity is served by the Trinity Independent School District. The district has five elementary schools, one middle school, and one high school. The district also operates an adult education center.
The Blanche K. Werner Public Library is a public library located in Trinity. The library has a collection of over 25,000 items, including books, DVDs, audiobooks, and magazines. The library also offers free Wi-Fi and computer access.
The Polk County Publishing Company publishes the Trinity Standard newspaper every week. The Trinity Tribune (1894), Democracy (1901), Trinity County News (1905), and The Trinity Times (1927) were previous publications.
Trinity was formerly a lumber town, and the Texas Longleaf Lumber Co. was the major employer; its operations ended in 1955.
The Trinity Volunteer Fire Department was founded on February 14, 1914, with 12 volunteers, 500 feet of hose, a shotgun, and “some pretty strong lungs.” One member would shoot the gun when a fire broke out while the rest shouted. Today’s TVFD members have received state certification in firefighting from the State Firemen’s and Fire Marshal’s Association.
The CHI St. Luke’s Health-Memorial Clinics opened an outpatient practice on Monday, August 7, 2017, in Trinity. The Trinity Memorial Hospital District Board and its outpatient facility formally signed a management service agreement with CHI St. Luke’s Health Memorial.
The post office was founded on February 28, 1872, with the appointment of Samuel Robb as the first postmaster. The current structure was completed in August 1941, and Congressman Nat Patton delivered a speech during the opening ceremony.